On July 12, 1949, in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil, at the headquarters of the Institute of Engineering, was founded the Pan American Standards Committee, CPANT.
Following the Assembly meeting held in Montevideo, Uruguay from 24 to 27 April 1961, begins the work of the Committee.
In this Assembly was established CPANT Council, chaired by lng. Alberto Sinay Neves of ABNT (Brazil), with Vice Chairman lng. J.R. ASA Townsend (USA), Treasurer the lng. John P. Molfino of UNIT (Uruguay) and the Vocal lng. Carlos Hoerning of INDITECNOR (Chile).
At its first meeting on 27 April the Council appointed as Secretary General Eng Beatriz Ghirelli de Ciaburri , who became from that moment on the motor nerve of CPANT.
In New York, in 1964, the General Assembly of the Pan American Committee, changed its name to the PAN AMERICAN STANDARDS COMMISSION under the short title of COPANT.